Many people think that taking a decent picture from a DSLR is enough and nothing else is required to be done. But what people often forget is about the editing of the photographs, which is as necessary as using proper equipment for your camera. Even a highly skilled photographer need to make some adjustment to his photos to achieve that magnum opus! In this post, we will try to guide you and provide an answer to some questions like How to edit DSLR photos?
What is Editing?
It is essential to know about your enemy before you challenge them for a battle. Well although editing is not our enemy, neither we are going on a war. But let us understand what is meant editing?
Editing is a process that is done after clicking photographs. This process is used to eliminate if present, errors, and readying a final product for the presentation. An excellent photographer must be a good editor as well! Because a marvelous photo can also look dull if it lacks a display. Similarly, many of the photographers use high-end software which helps them to correct their pictures and make them flawless.
But which is the best software to edit photos and what kind of software is the best for you?
Best Software For You
Every photographer is attached to their work. And will always want to bring out the best in their photos as well. It doesn’t matter if its a professional photographer or a millennial attached to his smartphone. The best way to organize and correct your photos is, to plug your device into your computer and import all your data. And use software to edit your photos. Even though there are many software available in smartphones these days still it is recommended to use other software available. Some software listed below will provide you with the aptest information. Which will help you in making the right choice!
But let us not forget our needs! A beginner would not require software used by a professional photographer. And neither a professional photographer will opt a software for beginners. So while going through our list, keep your demands in check and select the best available software.
Adobe Photoshop CC
- Different photo editing tools available.
- Easy and simple interface with many cool features like different drawing tools and 3D designs.
- User-friendly software.
- Available for both PC and Mobile usage.
- Lacking HEIC support.
- Some of the original features are costly.
- Due to the availability of many features can be a bit overwhelming at times.
It is one of the best software that has helped a million users worldwide. Adobe is also continually improving. Good service overall. Costly but worth every penny.
Adobe Lightroom Classic CC
- Brilliant photo management and organization is provided
- Corrections of camera and lens are also offered
- Many features like luminance masking
- Face detection and tagging also provided
- Import is not sufficient
- Complicated raw conversion as compared to other software
One of the best software available out there. Bang for your buck. A complete tool that will satisfy every user.
Adobe Photoshop Elements
- Strong image editing tools
- Nice face and geo-tagging capabilities
- Better output options as compared to other software
- Features like auto-tagging also available
- User-friendly interface
- Heavy disk footprint
- Lacks HEIF support for windows
- No lens geometry profiles
- Not many social outputs available
A consumer-friendly product that gets the job done. Recommended for the beginners.
- Easy and Direct interface
- Best noise production
- Fabulous Auto-correction
- Features like Haze remover and Geometry corrections available
- Powerful local adjustments with an optimal delivery
- High-end noise reductions can be time-consuming
- Few tools available
Although it is an incomplete workflow, it can still get the work done. Some handy features are not present in other software.
Corel Paintshop Pro
- Features similar to photoshop but cheaper
- Nice effects and editing tools
- Tutorials are also available
- Functional organisation of vector drawing tools
- Few of the operations are time-consuming and often face some delays
- The interface can be a bit hassle at times
- Bad chromatic aberration
Corel is regularly adding new features and tools to work with. As it comes with a low price, it is a viable substitute for Photoshop.
- Marvelous and easy to use interface
- Decent noise reduction
- Subtle effects of HDR and other similar excellent features available
- Lovely AI styles and layer support
- Few lens-profile corrections
- No geotags available
CyberLink provides a good workflow and decent performance. A good and easy to use the software. With new features available now and then
Phase One Capture One Pro
- Fabulous raw file conversion
- Nice interface with fast-import
- Available with a beautiful photo adjustment toolset with the keyword tagging feature
- Unavailability of online sharing
- Face recognition not present
- Panorama and HDR merging also not available
Phase One Capture One offers professional software tools with a smooth and beautiful interface. Many of the features given are pretty useful and easy to use.
These were some of the best software that is present in the market, which helps a user to edit their photographs with ease. We hope that this list will help you in deciding the best software for you.
With the internet being the elephant in the room, there are also some tools available online that will help a user if their editing needs are minimal and straightforward.
Also, read- How to clean DSLR camera lens – Complete guide!
Some websites like Flickr, Fotor, PicMonkey, etc. are helpful for those users who do not want to commit to photo editing software yet fully. These websites can make life a bit easier for people who lack some editing skills. As most of the features that are present in such sites are automatic and easy to use. Just choose the best setting for your photo and Voila! Your photo is ready for display. All of the software mentioned above can be installed on your PC and are all entry-level software.
Such software will help you to improve your editing skills, while simultaneously educating you about the different editing tools as well. Informative and educating!
Different software will satisfy various users. Some will like the more advanced ones that provide numerous features to its user. While some will prefer the simpler ones, where all it takes is a click, and the work is done. Therefore the above list contains all types of software for every kind of user.
We hope that we were able to provide an answer to your question of How to edit DSLR photos? If you like our post, then please don’t forget to share it with your family and friends. So that they can also benefit from our guide. For any comment or query, please interact with us through our comment section. Until next time.